The Canada-Alberta Job Grant (CAJG) is a funding program where employers and government share the cost of training new and existing employees to increase their knowledge and skills to meet the needs of Alberta’s changing economy. And now, B.C., Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and other provincial grant programs are available as well.
We are proud to say that The Social School’s five-week Social Media Marketing and Digital Marketing Certificates, as well as our four-week Public Relations Certificate Program – both the in-class and online streams – fall within the qualification standards.
While detailed information on the Alberta program is listed below, we strongly encourage you to look into the Canada Job Grant program in your area and apply for funding. We have yet to have an eligible student turned down, and it is a fantastic way to supplement the cost of your learning.
What is the Canada-Alberta Job Grant and how does it work?
The Canada-Alberta Job Grant is part of the Government of Canada and Government of Alberta’s commitment to help ensure employees are being trained in high-demand areas. In this case, that means timely social media, public relations and digital marketing skills and training that are imperative to the success of any modern day business big or small.
How does the Canada-Alberta Job Grant benefit you? By supporting and investing in the training of your employee training and growth, the program is designed to help you to increase productivity, employee skills and employee retention.
What is the grant amount?
Under the Canada-Alberta Job Grant, employers are required to cover a minimum of one-third of direct training costs, with up to a maximum of $10,000 per trainee in government contributions, up to $300,000 annually as an organization.
This means that employers are eligible to receive contributions in the following amounts towards select Social School programs:
Social Media and Digital Marketing Certificates in-class or online:
- In-Class Cost: $1249.00 (5 course, 35-hour programs)
- Payable by employer (one-third): $416.35
- Funded by CAJG: $832.65
- Online Cost: $449.00 (5-course, 30-hour programs)
- Payable by employer (one-third): $149.52
- Funded by CAJG: $299.48
Public Relations Certificate online:
- Cost: $339.00 (4-course, 24-hour program)
- Payable by employer (one-third): $112.89
- Funded by CAJG: $226.11
- All private sector and non-profit employers in Alberta
- First Nations and Métis Settlements in Alberta
- Some Crown agencies in communities with a population of less than 100,000
- New or existing employees that will fill current or future job vacancies
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) entitled to work in Canada who are currently residing in Alberta
- Temporary Foreign Workers, or anyone temporarily working in Canada
- Self-employed individuals, company owners and their immediate family members, board or council members
- A person who will not be employed by the applicant after the training program is completed
- As a third-party Alberta training provider who is separate and distinct from you, the employer, The Social School is an eligible institution
Eligible training programs
- Training must be incremental, meaning that the training is in addition to the employer’s regular operational training, and would not have otherwise taken place without the grant
- Training must result in a credential, which is indeed the case with The Social School’s Certificates
Training duration and format
- A minimum of 21 hours of training must start within six months of approval and be completed within 52 weeks of start date
- Training cannot start until grant is approved
- Training can be e-learning, part-time, full-time, on-site or in a classroom and must result in a form of credential
Download and read the CAJG Applicant Guide here for complete program details and tips on how to complete the application forms and avoid delays in processing and approval, and visit the official Canada-Alberta Job Grant site for more info.